GOURMET GALS

..................

Thursday, October 11, 2007

Well girls, haven't been blogging since I lost my paper with passwords on it. But, since Megan is growling at us I thought it would be easier to just get a new password than to hear her complain! HA! Just giving you a hard time Megan! You know I love you! Hey, you get no pictures with my bloggs so hope you have good imaginations.

Megan called me for this recipe so I thought I would just share it with all.

Granny Mag's Stack Cake
3 1/2 C. flour (or more) 1/2 Tsp soda
1/2 C. Lard or shortening 1/2 Tsp salt
2 eggs 1/2Tsp. vanilla
1/2 C. buttermilk 1 1/2 Tsp. ginger (or more according to taste)
2 Tsp baking powder 1 1/2 C. sugar

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cream together shortening, sugar and eggs. Sift together dry ingredients and add to sugar mixture alternating with buttermilk. Mix well. This should be a stiff dough like cookie dough. If not gradually add flour until it is. Knead in a container of flour or on a floured board until smooth. Pat into 3- 9in round cake pans or iron skillets and bake until who knows how long, my granny just says,'until it's done hunny'. You should probably go with about 30 minutes just so that it is starting to brown and completely firm. Just watch them closely and you should be able to tell. It's just like cooking a big gingerbread cookie, which is in essence what you are doing. Back to the recipe: Once the cakes have baked, let them cool...completely... I would dare to say overnight even, if at all possible. Then, stack them with either cooked dried apples or apple butter(this is what my Granny Mag used).

Let me share with you my screw ups when attempting this recipe so that you don't do the same. First of all, when the batter started getting thick, I stopped adding flour, thinking the batter should look like cake batter instead of cookie dough. Mistake! Second of all, I did it in a rush, as I do most things. So, I took the cakes out of the oven when they were cooked as a moist cake would be, not a cookie. Finally, I did not let the cakes cool enough because I wanted them for dinner that night and didn't start them until probably 5:00. Ha! My result was a cake that tasted great but was about the ugliest thing that you have ever seen. It completely fell in the middle and I couldn't cut it but had to scoop it out like a pudding. Rather interesting!!! Well, good luck Megan. Learn from my mistakes and let me know the results. A picture would be nice too, since you are a bit more computer savvy than I.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Sondra. Your such a rockin' blogger ! Keep it up :)
Thanks for the recipe. Gonna make it tonight.

Unknown said...

ok gals. I made this twice. Once for a family member we went to visit and also for our church's fall festival. Very easy and yummy. Not too sweet. I made my own applesauce (without sugar) and used that instead of apple butter. It keeps for a long time in the fridge. I dusted the top with a bit of powdered sugar for presentation. It is a great fall dessert. (and really simple to make)