GOURMET GALS

..................

Monday, January 29, 2007



All Day Chicken Stock

Do you ever buy those rotisserie chickens from the store? Or roast your own? We find that we do this quite often. I love to use the chicken for panini sandwiches or we take one on an impromptu picnic with cheese and french bread. At any rate, after we've eaten them I save the bones, etc... and freeze them until a day like yesterday.
Yesterday was a COOOOOLLLLLDDDD and nasty day out. We came home from church and ate a pot of beef stew and just settled in for a cozy day indoors. Perfect time to make some stock! I pulled out the bones I had been saving, along with some celery, carrots, onion, black peppercorns, and bay leaves, and filled it to cover with water. Then I just let it simmer.....all day long..... By the end of the day I had a rich, gorgeous stock that I will now divide into freezer bags in 2 cup batches and freeze for the times that I need chicken stock or broth (which is quite often). It is way cheaper and is so easy. Plus it makes the house smell yummy.

No comments: